MADRID: The 30-year-old is already said to have agreed personal terms with United over a five-year deal.
Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that Casemiro will leave the club ahead of a proposed move to Manchester United.
The Red Devils are looking to secure a number of quality additions in the final fortnight of the transfer market – and earlier this week it emerged that the club had submitted a £60m for the Brazilian midfielder.
The 30-year-old is already said to have agreed personal terms with United over a five-year deal that will see him double his salary to around £8.4m a year, the equivalent of £160,000 a week.
Speaking to press about Casemiro ahead of Madrid’s game against Celta Vigo tomorrow, Ancelotti said: “I talked to him this morning. He wants to try a new challenge, a new opportunity. I and the club understand it.
“With what he’s done at this club and the person he is, we have to respect it. There are talks right now, nothing is official, but he wants to leave.
“We wish him all the best in his next challenge.”
“The midfield of [Luka] Modric, [Toni] Kroos and Casemiro has been very, very important for Real Madrid. Casemiro’s teammates respect him and his decision. They love him, the club loves him,” he continued.
Ancelotti believed on Thursday evening that he could convince Casemiro to change his firm decision to join United this summer.
Casemiro and Ancelotti did speak on Friday morning at Valdebebas before the final training session ahead of the match against Celta Vigo.
The relationship between the two men goes beyond that of a player and his coach. Ancelotti once again conveyed his absolute confidence in Casemiro in his last attempt to turn the situation around.
After the meeting, the midfielder went back to being a professional and showing his commitment to Real Madrid, working out along with his teammates.
Casemiro has been with the capital outfit since 2013, during which time he has won the Champions League five times, as well as three La Liga titles and four other domestic trophies.
As both clubs have agreed to the move in principle, the transfer is now expected to proceed with haste, although he is unlikely to have been registered as a United player in time to feature in Monday night’s huge clash with Liverpool at Old Trafford.