July 13, 2024

Manchester United Confirm Mason Greenwood Will Leave Club

0
Spread the love

Greenwood made 129 appearances for the Man United first team, scoring 35 goals and setting up 12 more.

FILE PHOTO: Mason Greenwood applauds the fans after a Manchester United match this season. PICTURE: Manchester United

0 0
Spread the love
Read Time:4 Minute, 10 Second

MANCHESTER: United have announced that Greenwood will be leaving the club following the conclusion of their internal investigation.

The former England international has been free to resume his footballing career since all charges against him were dropped towards the end of last year.

Mason Greenwood was initially suspended by Man United in January 2022 following allegations posted on social media by a woman, leading to his arrest on suspicion of rape and assault.

While in custody, Greenwood was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill before being released on bail, during which Nike and EA Sports severed ties with him.

Not long after another arrest for allegedly breaching his bail conditions, Greenwood was charged with one count of attempted rape, one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one count of engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and a trial date was set for November 2023.

However, all charges against the 21-year-old were dropped in February, as the “withdrawal of key witnesses” and “new material” coming to light meant that there was no longer a realistic chance of conviction.

Since then, Man United have been conducting their own lengthy investigation into the accusations, during which time Greenwood has been pictured training individually, and the club reportedly received data from those practice sessions.

Red Devils staff were supposedly informed that Greenwood would be returning to the club – where he was under contract until 2025 – but following enormous backlash, the club reversed their decision.

In a statement, Man United said that the online posts “did not provide a full picture” of the allegations, and the club do not believe that Greenwood committed the offences he was originally charged with, but all parties believe it is best for the striker to end his association with the club.

“Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood. Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped,” the statement read.

“Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible. This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.

“Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.

“All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”

In his own statement, Greenwood – who has since become a father – also denied the allegations against him, although he admitted that he made “mistakes” in his relationship and thanked Man United for their support throughout the process.

“I want to start by saying I understand that people will judge me because of what they have seen and heard on social media, and I know people will think the worst,” Greenwood said on social media.

“I was brought up to know that violence or abuse in any relationship is wrong, I did not do the things I was accused of, and in February I was cleared of all charges. However, I fully accept I made mistakes in my relationship, and I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post.

“I am learning to understand my responsibilities to set a good example as a professional footballer, and I’m focused on the big responsibility of being a father, as well as a good partner.

“Today’s decision has been part of a collaborative process between Manchester United, my family and me. The best decision for us all, is for me to continue my football career away from Old Trafford, where my presence will not be a distraction for the club. I thank the club for their support since I joined aged seven. There will always be a part of me which is United.

“I am enormously grateful to my family and all my loved ones for their support, and it is now for me to repay the trust those around me have shown. I intend to be a better footballer, but most importantly a good father, a better person, and to use my talents in a positive way on and off the pitch.”

Prior to his arrest, Greenwood made 129 appearances for the Man United first team, scoring 35 goals and setting up 12 more, while he earned his only cap for the England team in a Nations League win over Iceland in September 2020.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %
Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

About Author

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

× How can I help you?