Feb 28, 2021

Masiphumelele Residents To Receive Emergency Housing

Spread the love

Reports have revealed that one person died in the incident and thousands were left vagrant due to the disastrous fire.

FILE PHOTO: Masiphumelele fire, which broke out on Thursday evening last year December and destroyed over 1000 homes. PICTURE: Kirsten Jacobs

Spread the love

CAPE TOWN: Also, Gift of the Givers, Respond Church Consortium and Emmanuel TV were acknowledged for their assistance.

Masiphumelele residents to receive emergency housing Masiphumelele a well-known informal settlement situated near Fish Hoek in the Western Cape.

Yesterday afternoon, the MEC of Human Settlements, Mr Tertius Simmers in the Western Cape provincial government, which is under the control of South Africa’s opposition party, the Democratic Alliance (DA), announced to have visited Masiphumelele where a tragic fire left more than 1 000 residents without a shelter for almost a period of two months, the devastating fire broke out on Thursday [December 17] last year.

It has been a horrifying holiday for Masiphumelele residents as they had to try and rebuild their place while some enjoyed Christmas and a year crossover with their families.

“To date, about 400 emergency homes have been assembled, with 321 of those were handed to fire victims. “a balance of 79 structures will be aided to displaced people of Masiphumelele this week,” said Mr Simmers.

Reports have revealed that one person died in the incident and thousands were left vagrant due to the disastrous fire. The city’s mayor, Mr Dan Plato, admitted last year during an interview that “the disaster management officials have announced that the fire was likely caused by an attempted land invasion.”

“It is shameful that a humanitarian disaster resulting in the total loss has been caused by criminal elements,” Mr Plato said.

The City of Cape Town has thanks organizations such as Living Hope which coordinated the relief efforts opening a platform where donors reached out. Also, Gift of the Givers, Respond Church Consortium and Emmanuel TV were acknowledged for their assistance.

“I strongly urge anyone with information to come forward to bring those responsible to book as we must send a strong message to discourage this criminal behaviour from affecting the lives and well-being of our residents,” he added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com