Jul 27, 2021

ConCourt To Hand Down Judgement On Zuma’s Contempt Case

Spread the love

Three months ago, the Zondo Commission asked the ConCourt to jail Zuma for two years.

FILE PHOTO: South Africa's former leader, Mr Jacob Zuma could face imprisonment term. PICTURE: Themba Hadebe/AP

Spread the love

JOHANNESBURG: The contempt of court proceedings were heard unopposed after Zuma made no submissions to the court in response.

The Constitutional Court has announced that it is ready to hand down judgment in the State Capture Inquiry’s contempt of court case against the former president of South Africa, Mr Jacob Zuma.

In a tweet from its official account, the court said judgment would be handed down at 10:00 on Tuesday.

This after he defied the ConCourt’s ruling in January that he should appear before the Commission of Inquiry into State Capture and answer questions put to him.

If Mr Zuma is found to be in contempt of court for refusing to appear before the commission, the Constitutional Court will also consider what the appropriate sanction should be.

Three months ago, the commission’s chair Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo asked the ConCourt to have Mr Zuma jailed for two years for his refusal to honour a summons for him to appear before the commission.

The contempt of court proceedings were heard unopposed after Mr Zuma made no submissions to the court in response.

One of the reasons Mr Zuma has argued for his defiance was that he was still waiting for the outcome of his Pretoria high court application challenging Mr Zondo’s decision in November 2020 not to recuse himself from hearing his testimony.

The former president has previously said he doesn’t fear being arrested.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *