Sep 21, 2021

Rape Allegations Against ANC Councilor Withdrawn

Spread the love

Mr Mgaga was charged with rape, allegedly committed last year December 26, of a 28-year-old woman on Boxing Day.

FILE PHOTO: ANC councillor Kenneth Mgaga during his appearance in court after being accused of rape. PICTURE: Nokuthula Mbatha/African News Agency (ANA)

Spread the love

JOHANNESBURG: He appeared before the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court and was granted R2,000 bail last month.

Rape accused, City of Johannesburg African National Congress (ANC) Councilor, Mr Kenneth Mgaga (36) has been reinstated after rape allegations against him were provisionally withdrawn by the Wynberg Magistrate Court on Monday.

“The ANC in Greater Johannesburg Region welcomes the provisional withdrawal of the rape charges against its PR Councillor Cde Kenneth Mgaga”- Mr Sasabona Manganye, the party’s spokesperson, said in a statement.

The party said allegations were withdrawn due to the state not being able to present a case that could stand the scrutiny of the court of law. Mr Mgaga was charged with rape, allegedly committed last year December 26, of a 28-year-old woman on Boxing Day.

He was arrested on New Year’s Day. He appeared before the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court and was granted R2,000 bail last month. In an affidavit, Mr Mgaga had pleaded not guilty for any of the accuser’s claims and had denied the allegation.

Hours after his release on bail, he wrote a letter to the ANC’s Greater Joburg secretary Mr Dada Morero, Gauteng ANC secretary Ms Jacob Khawe and ANC secretary-general Mr Ace Magashule, asking to be placed on a voluntary leave of absence.

He will resume his office functions as a councilor after charges against him were provisionally withdrawn.

“We commend Cde Mgaga for his conduct during this difficult time as his revolutionary consciousness guided him and as such stepped down and took a leave of absence from his duties as a PR councillor in the City of Johannesburg and allowed the law to take its course,” Mr Manganye said.

He believes that Mr Mgaga demonstrated the highest level of discipline by respecting the law enforcement agencies, courts and the ANC by not making any public statements or addressing in public gathering and all that respected the integrity of the process.

“The City of Johannesburg ANC Caucus will therefore reinstate Cde Mgaga to his full functions as a councillor to continue doing his community services,” he added.

Mr Manganye concluded that the ANC condemns Gender-Based Violence and will continue to support the struggle against GBV.

“We call upon society to always stand with alleged victims of GBV and give them support when faced with this violent act,” the statement concluded.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *